Ben Carson: Students discover the importance of giving back

By Makaylyn Williams Staff Writer

For many Benjamin Carson students, “extra-curricular” means community service. Students in the National Honor Society and Rotary Interact Club work to improve the lives of those around them.

Both organizations are growing in number and activity. The National Honor Society came to Benjamin Carson two years ago, in spring 2013, and Rotary began at about the same time. Service is one of the four keys for membership in the NHS, and Rotary clubs focus on community involvement.

Following the NHS induction ceremony in November, members started planning for their events. The first step was to raise money by holding a bake sale. Future community projects include making valentines for Children’s Hospital and preparing food for Detroit’s homeless population.

“I feel like it’s an honor to be a part of NHS and it shows that people our age can be smart and interested in helping others,” senior Angel Jones said.

Student members of the Rotary club have worked with the University of Michigan to pack food care packages to be sent to Africa.

“It was an amazing experience,” senior Alicia Walker said. “We had the opportunity to give back to people on an international level and meet people from different parts of the world.”