Ben Carson: Holiday break provides students chance to expand STEM skills

By Damon Hogan Staff Writer

Five Benjamin Carson students spent two days over the holiday break sharpening their building skills as part of the STEM Genius program, which offers K through 12 students opportunities to work on hands-on projects. Benjamin Carson students used team work and technical talents to build a motorized Ferris wheel out of Legos complete with moving parts — one of many STEM projects.

Students Suma Taher, Neika Murray, Tayebah Chowdury, Mahbuba Miah, and Justin Mason are part of the JROTC program which partners with the Michigan STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) Genius program to provide students opportunities with project-based learning.

The STEM participants wanted to show fellow Benjamin Carson students something they were doing, to try to draw their attention to what STEM is about and to encourage more students to join them.

“The Ferris wheel helped us understand that nothing can be done without teamwork,” Taher said. “All of the members of the STEM Genius program contributed in helping each other by working at our stations and coming together to make one great product."

STEM Students meet regularly on Saturdays during the school year and are looking forward to the next competition in April.

On April 18, each participating DPS school will gather at Western International High School and compete in challenges involving stability with underwater robotics and controlling air drones through obstacles.