Weather can threaten safety on school days

By Anthony Sherman Staff Writer

The beauty of winter; Hot chocolate, snowmen, snowball fights, and of course, Christmas. Winter also come with some severe weather, especially in Detroit. Icy roads accompanied with subzero temperatures cause safety issues. With students’ and teachers’ safety being priority one the district is forced to close school to insure that there are no injuries or fatalities. This change leads to students missing a copious amount of important school days.

Farmer’s Almanac predicts that temperatures this winter will be below normal for most of the United States. Meteorologist across the state notes that this will be the coldest winter of the century; with an abundance of below zero temperatures, snow and rain storms, coupled with active wintry weather within the first ten days of January. It is within those ten days most students take their finals which can really have an impact on the first semester grades. These deplorable weather conditions can cause fluctuation in class session, assignments, and grades and stifle education.

While missing school is a big issue it isn’t the biggest when it comes to the harshness of winter, safety is. For students who walk to school or stand at the bus stop there is a big safety issue, there comes the hazards of frost bite and even slipping and injuring yourself on ice. Students who drive must deal with the possibility of getting into accidents, some which can lead to being fatal.

Seniors Jaylin Glenn and Allegra Hicks both catch the bus to and from school.

“It really has a bad affect,” Hicks said. “If it’s too cold I am prevented from coming to school.”

“Sometimes if it is cold outside and ice on the road, the bus takes longer than usual and if it’s too cold, I decide not to come to school,” Glenn said.

To make sure that students are safe this winter and at the same time learning, there needs to be a system in place in which teachers can communicate with students and can send assignments via email or social network.