Students search for college scholarships

By Jonathan Hurt Staff Writer

It’s almost the time of the year for seniors to go hunting for college scholarships. There are many different scholarships out there for the choosing. Some focus on students of a particular interest of study while others support students all around.

Let’s face it, not everyone is a 4.0 student with a full-ride to any college they’d like to attend. Some are average students with a 3.0 (or lower) G.P.A. who need a bit more help when it comes to paying for college, especially with tuition costing an arm and a leg. This is where scholarships can help.

“My favorite site to use is Scholarships.com because it’s easier to find scholarships suitable for you and the possibility of winning is higher,” senior Xavier White said.

According to princetonreview.com, the top five scholarship sites are the following: Scholarships.com, CollegeBoard.org, FastWeb.com, CollegeNet.com, and ScholarahipMonkey.com.

Whatever sites you decide to use the bottom line is that you apply for them. Some may feel that applying for scholarships is a lost cause because their chances of winning are slim to none. Sometimes applying for the smaller scholarships increases your chances of winning.

Scholarships are an amazing opportunity that should be taken advantage of by students. Truth is billions of dollars of free money are never claimed each year due to students not applying for them.