Phillips recognized as Principal of the Year by NABSE

By Jessica Hawkins Staff Writer

Principal Lisa Phillips has been awarded the “2014 Principal of the Year” award by the National Alliance of Black School Educators (NABSE), a nonprofit organization devoted to furthering the academic success for the nation’s children, specifically African-American children.

Phillips, who was selected among 50 other applicants, received the award during the 42nd Annual Conference of the National Alliance of Black School Educators on Nov. 21 in Kansas City, Mo. The NABSE provided airfare and lodging for Phillips to attend the event.

According to the Detroit Public Schools website, NABSE selected Phillips because “... she demonstrated the most quality of leadership that has resulted in significant positive outcomes for African-American students.”

With the Class of 2014 earning over $45 million in scholarships, the NABSE took notice of Cass Tech high school under the leadership of Phillips.

“I am most proud of Cass Tech earning the the honor of being selected as an International Baccalaureate school, under the coordination of Sherise Hedgespeth, now after three years of diligent training CT students will have the option to take more rigorous international curriculum courses,” Phillips said. “The IB Diploma program is ideal for university preparation. This year, we also will have the largest graduating class from the dual enrollment program with Wayne County Community College which allows high school students to take college courses [up to 60 credits] and graduate with an associate’s degree.

“When I accepted the award I humbly said thank you, however I’m accepting the award on behalf of the entire group; the administrators, teachers and vice principals.

“When I became principal here I did not want to rest on the legacy of Cass, I had to sit and think, what I am going to do as the new principal how can I uphold a legacy that has been a constant in the City of Detroit for 100 years?”