Pershing’s library converted into STEM Lab

By Dionte Ford Staff Writer

One of most prominent changes Pershing High School undertook this school year was intertwining technology and education in the new STEM Lab.

The new STEM Lab located in the school’s library was outfitted with five computer/technology islands for students to use for video editing, gaming, Photoshop, flight simulation, robotics, music mixing, and many other creative technology fields.

“It’s fun and helps you know more about technology before you go to college,” freshman Kayla Jackson said. “It helps provide opportunities in technology.”

STEM Lab teacher Caitlin Kozak said the equipment, designed by Creative Learning Systems, was installed by July and is worth about $250,000.

“The purpose of the Lab in the library is to prepare students for life after high school,” Kozak said. “No matter what you do you are going to use technology.”

STEM Lab was the reason Pershing students were able to participate in the Hour of Code Event on Dec. 10. The Hour of Code was a national event involving millions of students learning about computer science.

“STEM Lab helped me learn how to use PowerPoints and other things related to STEM,” said Jackson, who was one of the many Pershing students learning how to code during the Hour of Code.

The STEM Lab will all house an after school Robotics Club by January. Also, there are tutoring classes after school relating to STEM.“

“Classes are designed for students to put up an effort depending on the student. Meaning its up to the student to do the work,” said Kozak. “It’s about finding their (the students) strong point in STEM.”