OUR LIVES MATTER: The last words remain with us

By Kaelyn Collins Staff Writer

“I don’t have a gun, stop shooting.” August 9, 2014: The last words of Mike Brown.

“Please don’t let me die.” March 9, 2014: The last words of Kimani Gray.

“I can’t breathe.” July 17th, 2014: The last words of Eric Garner.

These three men spoke their last words in front of their killer. These three men spoke their last words to a man wearing a badge; men who are supposed to “protect and serve” citizens in this country. They lost their lives at the hands of a police officer.

When I heard the news that Ferguson, Mo., police officer Darren Wilson [Mike Brown’s killer] was not going to be indicted my initial reaction was an overwhelmed feeling of anger and disappointment but unfortunately not shock.

It is disturbing to know that what happened to Brown, Gardner and Gray could happen to my younger brother, father, uncles, cousins or the black males I go to school with and live in my community.

“Today’s generation does not realize that racism escalated since Obama has been in office,” said junior advanced placement English instructor Shar Willis. “It’s right in your face on video from Mike Brown to Eric Garner to Aiyana Jones.”

However, the fact that these officers face no consequences for their actions is more upsetting than anything. Black lives are looked at with fear and less worthy of fighting to save in this country. The message we are being sent is that it doesn’t matter what goals you have or achievements you have made. To a white police officer that carries a gun, your life does not mean a thing.