Jonice Sylvester: Take a breath when you start to get angry

My cousin is doing a five-year sentence in prison because of a time he let his anger spiral out of control. When he 17, someone stole his car, and in anger, he retaliated by carjacking the guy who stole his car. He wasn’t present when his son was born and now the baby doesn’t have his dad.

According to SafeYouth.com, as many as one in three teens frequently lose their temper and don’t know how to cope with their feelings. They might not know it, but their anger is the root of many of their problems in school and at home. It can take a toll on relationships with others and on school performance.

I’ve seen smart kids argue with teachers and fight with peers when it didn’t have to be serious. They get put out of class or suspended and they lose class time.

Security officer Tameka Cooper said the environment can sometimes make things even more difficult for students with anger issues.

“Something that would be just a simple thing can turn into an argument or a fight when you have all kinds of people in your ear with negative vibes,” Cooper said.

It’s happened to me. Just last week, I felt attacked when a teacher was yelling at me, and everyone was saying, “Are you gonna let her talk to you like that?” so I yelled back and got put out of class. I wasn’t allowed back without a parent and now I have missing assignments.

Some teens are in denial about their anger issues. They need be open to the possibility of looking for help, whether it is talking to a parent, a teacher, or a counselor. They should control their anger before it controls them.