Decision Day: How to choose the right college for you

By Jasmine Jones Staff Writer

Most seniors are preparing to go to college after they graduate. However, how will they know which college is the best one for them?

Decision Day, a Detroit Public Schools-sponsored event, is specifically designed so high school seniors can choose a college that is right for them. Participating universities were at Renaissance High School on Nov. 1 talking to upcoming graduates and giving information about their school so it can be easier for them to choose what is best for their education.

There were many colleges that were at Decision Day, including Central Michigan University, Eastern Michigan University, Michigan State University, Bowling Green State University, Oakland University and Wayne State University. Each school had a table with a representative there to explain more about the school.

Some seniors at Detroit International Academy for Young Women attended the event.

“Decision Day was really bursting with activity, with many hopeful students readily applying to the colleges they wanted to get accepted into,” senior Anika Chowdhury said. “Each table that was set up for a specific college was really organized and they all easily took the applications and were really nice about answering any questions we had. I really liked the fact that they still had a lot of information at all of the colleges' tables in case you haven't applied yet, and may be planning to later.”

“Decision Day was cool,” senior Nadia Malik said. “I like how fun and easy it was because before we got there, we had to get our packets together including our transcripts and letters of recommendation. Everything was in a folder and all we had to do was hand it to them. Plus the people there, with the colleges, were very nice and were there to answer questions I had.”