Deaf students seek support, more ways to interact

By Latasha Jacks Staff Writer

Gallaudet University recently visited King High School to support those students who are deaf.

Speech therapist Dr. Deborah Spencer organized a group of students with hearing loss to attend the presentation.

Tami Santimyer, a college recruiter who is deaf, spoke to the students through sign language in the library. She brought along with her two American Sign language/English Interpreters, Mirana Horwitz and Jennifer Quinn.

“I would like to know about sign language and it would help me out because its hard for me to hear especially when I’m sitting in the back,” junior Tinaya Edwards said.

Gallaudet University is the world's only university with programs that offers a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree and doctorate in American Sign Language (ASL). It offers 28 majors to deaf and hard of hearing, and a small percentage number of hearing individuals.

“I have a bilateral hearing loss,” junior Katia Dickerson said. “I have organized a group here with Dr. Spencer. The purpose of this group at King High School is to help students support each other, talk about needs and more ways to interact with each other.”

Gallaudet University’s mission is the advancement of deaf and hard of hearing individuals through American Sign Language and English.