Cass Tech’s Cantrell honored with Legion of Valor Bronze Cross Award

By DeAnna Howard and Brian Wilson Staff Writers

Cass Tech senior Jade Cantrell recently became the first person in Michigan to receive the Legion of Valor Bronze Cross Award, which is presented annually to the top JROTC cadets across the country.

One out of every 5,000 JROTC students receive this honor. It is warded to one high school senior cadet per district who is in the JROTC program, is in the top 25% of their ROTC and academic class rank, and has demonstrated exemplary military leadership.

Cantrell, who will attend West Point next fall, was presented this award by Maj. Gen. Gwen Bingham in November. Deputy Mayor Isaiah McKinnon and Chief of Police James Craig were also in attendance.

The award ceremony was narrated by Jade’s twin sister Jaymee Cantrell who said, “I am extremely proud that my sister was given this award and will be attending West Point Academy next year.”

Jade Cantrell earned a a full tuition scholarship to West Point, estimated at more than $430,000. Cantrell plans to join her good friend Ciara Gerald, a 2013 Cass Tech alum, whom Cantrell said encouraged and mentored her when she first started in the JROTC program at Cass.

“I will be happy to see a familiar face when I leaves home for college,” Cantrell said. “West Point is an academy that women did not traditionally attend. I am very lucky to have a mentor and friend paving the way for me. ”

Cantrell visited West Point Academy last summer during its Summer Leadership Experience and it served as a preview to the school year. After college, Cantrell plans to use her five-year commitment that comes with attending West Point to become an Army Finance Officer.

Ikeya Lake and Jahaira Maxwell-Myers contributed to this report.