Board involvement is important to Loyola

By Jakobi Lundy-Bass Staff Writer

When outsiders look at Loyola High school they can readily see the dedicated teachers, staff, and students. However, Loyola owes its success in part to the school’s board members.

The board members have the responsibility of managing the school in a number of ways. The position brings a lot of responsibility. Unlike public school boards, the members are not elected, or paid. In fact, members offer monetary support of the school. So what is the motivation to serve on the board?

“I was invited by the President (of the school) since I supported the mission of Loyola and other Jesuit programs,” said board member Charlie Rutherford.

“There-were three principal motivations: I liked the mission. I liked the fact that we are preparing them academically and spiritually for the future,” board member Bill Conelly said. “I had skills that I thought might be useful, and the energy to work on Loyola’s agenda. I like and respect the people, leadership, faculty, staff and board members.”

Among other things, Loyola’s school board puts together several events to advertise the school. The events include the Carron-Mastrangelo fund-raising dinner. Money that is raised goes towards operating the school.

Another is a Detroit Tigers event. The event includes food and an auction of items that are donated for the event. The event also gives students and donors the opportunity to meet. The day ends with participants attending a Detroit Tigers game.

Some board members are solely responsible for providing the Loyola men with a first rate Catholic education through the McNish foundation, which allows for those developing men to be around first rate minds.

“I joined the board because I believe strongly in the mission of Loyola: a culture of hope and academic success for young men challenged by an urban environment ...’” board member Mike Nolan said. “At Loyola my efforts and monetary support can make a difference. We are impacting the lives and the future of 150 young men, who otherwise might succumb to the Detroit streets. Loyola is making a difference. We are giving our students a taste of success, in academics, sports, and life. We are giving them an opportunity for college or a career. I am proud to be a part of this.”