Benjamin Carson sophomores receive white coats

By Antonio Christian and Denise Barnett Staff Writers

On the evening of Nov. 17, Benjamin Carson sophomores met in the auditorium of Spain Elementary School to take part in the third annual White Coat Ceremony. This “rite of passage” has become a three-year tradition that celebrates the sophomore class and encourages students to continue working hard in their studies.

Students’ accomplishments in their freshman year were recognized and students were presented white coats to symbolize their progress toward careers in science and medicine. Dr. Reginald Eadie, Board President of DMC Harper University and Hutzel Women’s Hospital, offered the opening remarks. Eadie said he believes the event is a significant moment for Benjamin Carson students.

“The white coat ceremony is one of the many assets Ben Carson High School offers DPS students,” Eadie said. “Had such a ceremony been available during my Cass Technical High School days, my dream of becoming a physician would have been much closer to a reality.”

William G. Anderson, vice president and director of medical education at the Detroit Medical Center, gave the keynote address and Dr. Gary Willyerd, associate dean of the Michigan State College of Osteopathic Medicine, led students in a pledge to commit to professionalism, caring, dedication and a concern for the betterment of mankind.

“It was a special moment for me to lead the pledge of honor and to hear the Class of 2017 proudly declare their passion toward medicine, along with their academic and professional duties,” Willyerd said. “I found myself thinking back on my own white coat and offering gratitude to many, especially to my school for the educational opportunities it provided and that have allowed me to wear the ultimate symbol of doctoring, the white coat.”

During the ceremony sophomore Xavier Jack offered a spoken word selection which student Jacob Barnes called inspirational because “he is in our shoes, he spoke to us.”

Senior Mia Norris recalls here ceremony two years ago.

“It’s a wonderful thing to see sophomore students receive something that can be considered a high honor,” she said. “But even more important is the fact that they understand it is the person who wears the coat that gives it the meaning.”