Additional requirement has positive outcomes

By Treveon Vaughn Staff Writer

Senior requirement at most high schools consist of core classes such as English, math, and science. At Loyola High School, seniors must complete one more requirement: They must attend a Kairos Retreat.

The retreat was designed by students and Jesuit priests many years ago. Kairos has become a major part of Jesuit high school tradition.

The word Kairos is Greek for God’s time.

Theology teacher and retreat coordinator Bonney Hillen said the purpose of the retreat is “for students to improve their relationship with God.”

Wyatt Jones, Dean of Students and Loyola High School graduate, said he believes the experience is the most impactful thing that students do at the school.

“The experience gives the students time to reflect on the last four years of their life spiritually, academically, and socially,” Jones said.

As a former student, Jones attended a senior Kairos Retreat. Jones says that for him the Kairos Retreat helped him learn that “God’s love for me is everlasting.”

Jones will attend the Kairos Retreat again this year as a supervising staff member.

“Being away from the distractions of the city allows God’s voice to be clear to me,” Jones said.

Jones is not the only staff member who graduated from Loyola High School. Michael Black, Director of Admissions is also a graduate.

Black said this senior Kairos Retreat “brought me closer to my classmates and my family. Above all, it grew me spiritually.”

Black said he believes one of the best things about the retreat is that it is 100% student led.

This year’s senior class will retreat at the Holy Family Retreat House in Canada in January. The retreat is over three nights.