Academics in focus with schedule change

By Taija Johnson Staff Writer

The schedule change at Pershing High School is a combination of direct instruction and online learning. This new way of teaching will help the students learn more modernly and efficiently.

Pershing has implemented the learn (direct instruction), practice (computer work), apply (do the work) system (L.P.A.) after the first quarter. L.P.A breaks up one class into three components.

“I like the new schedule because it gives me more time to get my work in, on time instead of late,” senior Jimmy Pleasant said.

The schedule has “A” and “B” days, which both have different classes and teachers.

“The new schedule gives the students an opportunity to learn more modernly and efficiently,” said parent liaison coordinator Deidra Highball.

The schedule change is partly based on the Performance Series test scores. The freshmen and sophomores will be grouped together and the juniors and seniors will be grouped together. Within these groups, there are three groups of people, those who scored high, average, and low on the Performance Series Test. Students are taught according to ability.

“Everything is connected,” English teacher Ann-Marie Richardson said. “The changed schedule has all the classes more connected academic wise.”

The L.P.A. makes all the classes joint to some extent. For example, if you’re working on a science project, it should connect to math, E.L.A., social studies, etc.

“The new schedule change will benefit the students in the long term,” said Anthony DeGrazia, an instructional coach.

The students have more classes to attend and remember however class sizes are now smaller and more manageable.

“I think the new schedule change is a good way to learn. All the new technology that my generation will one day be working with, it’s good that we’re using computers and learning how to really use them,” junior Bishop Eady said.